Tuesday, May 4, 2010

MY MOTHER


We do not get to choose our parents. I am not sure if we would ever have the wisdom to choose parents. children, or any family members. (Adoption discounted here, although there is a bit of choice made). God hand picked our parents and our children for HIS plan and HIS purpose. HE knows all and knows what we would need and how "all will work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to HIS purpose." We must always remember that we are HIS creation, for HIS pleasure.

Back to my mother! I love my mother so much. She is not a highly educated woman but she has a lot of knowledge. She was an only child of a broken marriage at a time when not too many were divorced. Mom grew up in the depression era, being raised by her grand mother and even adopted by her grand mother. She was shy, quiet, and artistic. She also was very good looking, similar to Dorothy Lamour. My mother married young, and had me at age 20. She had lost her first baby at 5 months. She was a SAHM until we were in Jr High, and then she cashiered in the evenings. My dad was usually gone working in the day time, and doing his own thing at night. Mom endured many things for the benefit of her three children. I honor her and praise her.

Mom is now 88, a widow trying to make it on her own, living in the house they built together. She has learned to pay bills which she was never allowed to do. She is resourceful, resilient, and stubborn (which is what keeps her going.) She seems to have made it through the last 1 1/2 years of grieving. She gets lonely at times and maybe a little depressed, but we have found a companion for Tuesday and Thursdays for four hours each of those days, and it helps the week pass for her and gives her someone to interact with. I go down to see her about every three months and stay a week. We always enjoy each others company and I cook for mom and we share some laughter and fun.

I made mom a card even though I am still sick with this upper respiratory crude. She didn't want flowers or a gift so I poured all my love into this card. I LOVE YOU MOM and THANK YOU for all you are and what you mean to me! I thank GOD for picking you as my mother.

Card Recipe for my card making friends:

Stamps: Rose (Comotion #2147), You Are Special (PSX#F3138), Happy Mother's Day (Impression Obsession #C1450)

Ink: Tuxedo Black

Paper and Card Stock: White base, Bazzill Basics in Moss Green, Strawberry Splash, Pink glitter heart paper (unknown)

Ribbon: Pale pink sheer (1 inch) from Michaels

Punch: Martha Stewart Scalloped Arches

11 comments:

Beryl said...

This is truly beautiful Martha. I'm sure your mother will love it - especially knowing it was made with such a great deal of love.
Beryl xx

Ann Whitfield said...

Really beautiful Martha - as it should be for such a beautiful lady. I really enjoyed reading about your Mom and your love for her shines out. Thank you for sharing this with us at Crafty Ann's.
Ann x

coldwaters2 said...

I have loved reading about your mum she sounds a wonderful lady and I know that she will just adore this beautiful card it is stunning thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Ann's
Hugs
Lorraine x

iReneM said...

Thank you for sharing your story and this beautiful card with us at Crafty Ann's.

x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kym's Crafty Cards said...

Martha, what a beauty. Thanks for taking part in Crafty Ann's Challenge this fortnight and we hope to see you back again very soon. Best wishes, Kym xxx

Barb Hardeman said...

A beautiful labor of love, Martha! What a gorgeous rose and the ribbon is wonderful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krissia said...

I hope one day my children will write something like that about me.
You are right! we do not choose our parents but God does that work for us. It is so good that sometimes we have the options of choose what we want, like in my case, you chose me! I am so glad you did... :D Love you Mami!!!

文輝 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a pretty card!