Monday, February 15, 2010

MY FAVORITE CARDINAL

Red Cardinals are one of my favorite birds. I have loved this image ever since I first saw it on ebay. Carolyn Shores Wright has an amazing talent and it shows in many of her stamp images. I used Stampin Up Watercolor Wonder Crayons to paint the image. I remembered a technique I learned from my wonderful friend Barb Hardeman when using an image that doesn't fit inside a Spellbinder die. She said you cut around the part that doesn't fit inside and lay it over the die on the flat side opposite where it will cut. Then you run it through your CB and Waa! La! You have kept your image intact but the majority is in the shape of your die. This is a cool technique! THANKS BARB for sharing!

I chose white card stock with evenly spaced red dots, and matted it in green. I wanted the cardinal to be the only thing you see and not fussy up the rest of the card with too much. I did break down and add a little red ribbon with white polka dots and just ran it across under the pop-dotted image which I had matted with a red layer from the next bigger Spellbinders. The little flowers look like the apple blossoms to me and I hunted until I found some silk ones just the right size at Micheals to stick on top of the paper ones. I so love how this card turned out. The sentiment is a part of a longer one but the "...for you" served my purposes. Inside it says "You bless me!" Hope you enjoy this card as much as I did making it.

2 comments:

Beryl said...

Hi Martha. Wow. It must have taken you ages to get sal thjis posted on your blog. One great big catch up. I'm so glad you did coz there are some lovely photos of your grand-daughters and some fab cards. This one is my favourite - I love the image and design and I think I'll have to try that method with the nesties. It saves having to cut the whole image out and mat it onto the nestie shape.
Beryl xx

Davi said...

Martha, This is so pretty! I love the cardinal and the cut outs. The dots look so pretty with the red!