Tuesday, June 8, 2010

SPRING FLOWERS



My card uses a wood mounted Rose Decor stamp. It sat on my table for a month staring at me until I started by stamping it four times, and thought some more. I knew it would lend itself to multiple layering. I took one of the stamped images and trimmed around some of the leaves sticking out and then used the inverted Nestie circle die to cut it out. I also think I want to try some other die shapes with this image and see what I can come up with.

When I looked around at some of my samples of punches I have bought recently, I had a piece of green that had been punched with the new Martha Stewart branch punch. It mirrored some of the leaves around the roses and I liked it instantly. I used a rose mat behind the image to buffer the contrast between the white of the image and the green. I also took some yellow and dusted the edges of the white for that same purpose. I layered two panels behind the branch punched piece. That particular punch does not have a "branch" corner The corner for that border has a bird on the branches and that look did not suit. So I just punched straight and let the branches "fall where they may", and it doesn't look half bad. The print paper on the two vertical panels is shades of rose as is the matting. I used a piece of pink tulle for a bow. The saying is one of the Michaels $1 stamps. "You Bless Me" is such an encouraging saying. I used the Nestie #10 to cut it out and then cut a larger one of the same shape but in rose. But it was too large for the front and covered up part of the rose image and Grrrr! I didn't like it. So I cut off the top and bottom portion of the saying and just made it straight across. I did the same with the matting, and it fit and had room for a pink brad on either end. Funny how the creative mind keeps adjusting and trying something different until it "pleases the eye and looks right to the beholder". For taking so long to get started, I am pleased with how it turned out. The layering brings the roses to life. I used my Stampin Up markers to color it. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Beryl said...

Another lovely card. Te rose stamp is gorgeous and the leafy border is brilliant. I was also wondering which nestie shapes you'd used for the text but read on and realised you'd made your own bespoke version. Very clever and effective.
Beryl xx