Saturday, June 27, 2009

WEDDING DAY CARD


June, the month for weddings! I have been working on a wedding card for our exchange student Krissia, who lived with us 5 months in 1993 and became a daughter to us. I wanted to create a really different card and when I saw the tri-shutter card, decided to give it a "try" (no pun intended!)
Krissia is a beautiful, and elegant woman and deserved a card that will become a piece of art for her to look at and remember. Today is her wedding day and her wedding is happening in about an hour from now. She will be wearing a cream colored dress (appropriate for second weddings) and silver shoes and accessories. For her going away outfit, she is wearing purple, which is the national color of Costa Rica where she lives. I have incorporated these colors into the card. So here is the recipe and the pictures of the card from different angles.

1)The basic card is Bazill paper in white. It is 6 1/2"x12".
The score lines are vertical at 2", 4", 8", and 10".
The horizontal cuts begin at the 2" score mark and go to the 10" score mark.
The cuts make three sections, 1 1/2", 3 1/2" and 1 1/2".
2)There is a vertical panel on either end of the card in cream Bazill card stock.
3)Then there is a layer of a cream paper that has swirls and is textured. I rounded the corners and edged it in silver paint.
4)The front panel is white card stock, corners rounded, with a layer of a cream floral on white card stock that has been punched with the SU scalloped punch. The scalloped edges are rubbed with silver and the two pieces are adhered together and then punched with a tiny hole punch in each scallop. I used an SU marker in Pale Plum to give the holes some color.
5)The heart is a clear stamp on white card stock in Martha Stewart black ink. I rubbed the edges in silver, matted in white and rubbed those edges with silver also. I painted the open back ground with Twinkling H2O's in Heavenly White. I painted the flowers with Sweet Thistle and used SU Garden green for the leaves and the stems. I put a flat soft yellow half pearl in the center of some of the flowers and added a row of three pearls at the side of the heart. I stamped a Stampa Rosa"LOVE"( in script) in silver on the lower left of the front panel and tied a sheer cream ribbon over the "love" and added a small bow. The heart was adhered at an angle and the top rounded parts on foam squares and the center and bottom "V" are flat to give the heart an uneven dimension. At the top of the panel, I put a silver curly-Q (from a Martha Stewart lace punch and was left over) being held up by two cream colored doves (Martha Stewart dove punch.) I colored the curly-Q with silver paint.
6)The middle sections were covered with pieces of "wedding words" paper. It had gold
lettering, so I colored all the words with silver. : ) If they don't sell what you need you must
improvise! I also drew 2 silver hearts entwined in spaces between the lettering. I punched some Martha Stewart small hydrangea flowers from purple card stock, glued them on in places in the upper section and lower sections. I drew with the SU Garden Green marker some vines and leaves.
7)For my focal image in the center of the card, I put a House Mouse bride and groom. She is
wearing a cream colored dress and veil, has purple flowers and pearl earrings (remember
those little flat-backed pearls on the front? Too cute!) I stamped the image in black on white CS and fussy cut them out. The groom is wearing a black tux and purple bow tie and cumberbund. I used brown Fun Flocking on the areas where they have fur. Have to make them look real, right? I used the cream colored H2O's in French Vanilla for her dress and used SU black marker for the suit. I tried to water the marker ink down to create a little shading. Wish I had those Copic markers that are easy to do that with. Maybe for Christmas! The couple was matted with purple and adhered with foam squares. I added PSX "Congratulations" in black ink, fussy cut it out and matted in purple also and placed it under the couple.
8)For the back section, I layered the cream Bazill and the cream textured paper the same as
the front. I stamped in black on white with a PSX "God Bless You". I punched it out using a
Marvy scalloped circle. I punched small dots in each scallop and edged it with silver. I
punched a larger circle in purple using a Marvy scalloped circle, patted the edges with the
silver ink pad making a marbled effect about 1/2-3/4" in. I adhered the white "God Bless
You" onto the purple with a dotted runner. I used foam squares to put the whole circle in
place so that the card could fold and bend where it needs to.

And lastly, remember those punched out small flowers with the drawn vines...they looked too plain, so added a white center to each. : )
AND I am making a duplicate to remember all the new techniques I learned making this special wedding card! I will try to put the pictures in order to show you how it looked going together. I hope you enjoy my first tri-shutter card. Thanks for taking a peek!

2 comments:

Barb Hardeman said...

Martha, Martha, Martha!! You did the most excellent job on this card! Aren't they fun? Much easier than you would have thought. This is very elegant and perfect for the newlyweds. Gorgeous work, and the little mouse couple are darling. You did faaaaabulou daahling!

Krissia said...

Too beautiful!!!! I almost cry! Ru and I just saw it. It is so special to us. You really got the talent mami, for handcrafts. We both love your diferents ways to show us your love. We are in Paris and had the opportunity to check the mail. What a nice and sweet surprised. Love you!! Krissia and Ru