Thursday, September 17, 2009

COLOR THROW DOWN




Well, I have decided to enter a card in a contest. I've never done it before and my style is certainly not as complicated as most mainly because I don't have all the stuff some of the card makers have and use. But I thought I would try.

The throw down required the colors Bermuda Bay, Green Galore, and Barely Banana. I didn't have the exact colors but made do with what I had that was similar. My green was a shade lighter, so I took my Green Galore SU marker and just colored the edge that showed. : ) We also were required to use a frog and I only had one and it has hearts on its body...a real Valentine frog if I ever saw one! I searched and searched through my paper and CS and couldn't find anything but florals with those colors. Very frustrating, because I feel like I have lots of paper and CS and still NOT the right look. : ( Is this a common experience for others?

I decided to make the card itself out of the Barely Banana color and layered the Green Galore with the Bermuda Bay on top. I had a dotted paper with different colored dots that are glittered. I put that on top and SU scalloped the bottom edge short and it made it look like blue water on the bottom. I don't have a machine designated for sewing paper, so just "drew "stitches around the edges on the green only. The dotted paper is from Doodlebug Design, Inc.

I found a Darcie's saying" Love Hits The Spot" and stamped it on the barely-banana-look-alike CS in black Momento ink. I matted the heart first in green and then in the blue and popped it up on the dotted CS. I tied a turquoise ribbon from Wal-Mart that is striped sheer and satin. I put the bow near the point of the heart to draw the eye there. I drew my own lily pad and added a little Green Galore shading. I ruffled the edges to give it dimension but stuck it down fairly flat with the red double-sided tape. The frog is a Judith stamp H-95 that I bought off of ebay. I stamped it on the barely banana CS and colored with SU green galore marker and pixie pink hearts and a yo-yo yellow tummy. I covered the frog with Crystal Effects but found that it curled a little because I had cut it out first. When I tried to flatten it , it cracked a little. So I stuck it down with pop dots and added more of the Crystal Effects to cover the cracks, and it did. I also discovered a little stain of something near the bottom right corner, so I added the three homemade hearts that are glittered with Stickles. Necessity is the mother of invention they say!

So that is my offering. I came down with a virus and so won't swear to any of the above information, but I think it is all correct. Hope you like my first humble offering.

I am thinking my card is simple compared to some, but I realize that since it is only 4 1/4 x 5 1/2", I may be limiting the "canvas" I am working on. I don't know the size of the cards most gals make, so if any one will share their nuggets of wisdom with me, I would appreciate it.

5 comments:

LeAnne said...

Hi Martha! Thanks for sharing your creation with us! Most of our cards are just the same size you've used--I never mention the card size unless I made something other than that standard size! I love your background paper and all your little extras--so sweet! Glad you were able to come play with us!
Hugs,
LeAnne

Kristin Eberline said...

I love your first humble offering! This turned out sooo cute!! The scalloped edge of that adorable patterned paper is fab, and I LOVE your froggie!

I applaud you for entering your first challenge, and hope that you continue to do so! Great job with the Color Throwdown!

Davi said...

Martha, I love the card. Such a cute little frog. Great layout The little hearts are very sweet. You did good girlfriend on your first entry!! :)

Barbara said...

Martha, so great to see you playing out challenge!! I'm delighted your first one is with us!! Your card is super duper cute!!! Love your froggy and we hope to see you back again next time!

Terri Trotter Earley said...

Stinking cute froggie! Way to rock the color throw down.

It's a good life!
Terri E.