Saturday, March 20, 2010

COSTA RICA

Years ago, we had an exchange student from Costa Rica. Both our son and daughter were Scouts and I was at a meeting one night at the District Office and they asked if anyone would be interested in hosting a scout from Costa Rica. My hand flew up first, so we had the privilege. Krissia was a year older than our son, and spent from Jan through May with us in 1993. She was only going to stay two months, but we paid for her ticket to be changed for a longer stay. She attended Apple Valley high school with Beth and took her own classes. We encouraged her to take classes that would help her with her English. She had two hours of ESL, a class of speech, a class of typing, an art class and a dance class. She made friends easily and fit so perfectly with our family. She was and is the sweetest and kindest woman and is like our daughter. Our families have "adopted" each other and keep in touch through visits, emails, calls and cards. I have had 11 trips to Costa Rica, and spent most of those trips with her family and enjoyed myself immensely each time. They are lovely people. Krissia now teaches English at an elementary school in Costa Rica.

Recently Krissia's fraternal grandmother passed away. Nene was always kind to me even though we could not communicate well. She called me "Muy contenta" because I always smiled and she recognized the peace I have knowing I belong to God. I made a sympathy card for the family and included an orchid on the front. That is for Krissia's father, Carlos (Nene's oldest son) who grew orchids for a long time and may still. They are so beautiful and I have loved their many colors and shapes ever since. I believe purple is the national color of Costa Rica ( at least their favorite soccer team wears purple ) so I wanted to include shades of purple on my card. We extend our deepest sympathies and prayers to the whole family.

Krissias' mother also had a birthday at the beginning of March. So the belated BD card is for her. She likes flowers and Costa Rica has its own "cart" and so I thought a cart of flowers was appropriate. I have put a simple list of what I used on each card below. Hilda, I hope you have many more Happy Birthdays! We love you all!

Sympathy card:
Stamps: PSX orchid stamp, Stampendous "Encouraging Words" clear stamp sentiment, Stampin Up plaid background stamp
Ink: Tsukineko Dew Deops in lavender, sky blue, purple (for background), Black Momento Ink
Card stock: white base, print paper is Karen Foster "Friendship Knots", Bazzill basics in Boysenberry, Plum delight, Sparkleberry Delight.
H2O's: shades of purple for the orchids, hunter green for the leaves, and yellow and gold for the flower pot.
The layering is obvious and I kept the corners simple and didn't add ribbon or too many elements since it is a sympathy card.

Birthday easel card:
Stamps: Stampin Up flower cart, 1998 Stampin Up "Happy Belated Birthday"
Ink: Message and Cart stamped with Momento black. cart painted with Stampin Up Water Color Wonder Crayons, as well as part of the message.
Punches: Martha Stewart Hydrangea border, Marvy Uchida notch corner
Card stock: white base, Bazzill Basics Tropical Breeze, Cyan Cover, Island Breeze
Ribbon: Archivers
Stickles: Frosted Lace
Copic Markers: C3 gray for shadows
An easel card is constructed in two parts and then put together. The front image of the cart is made, matted and the inside with a folded flap is made with layers, borders, ribbon, and the matted message. The top front image is added to the folded part and the message provides the stop so that it stands for viewing, yet folds to fit in an envelope for mailing. Thanks for stopping to visit.

2 comments:

Beryl said...

Sorry I seemed to have missed so much on your blog this last few weeks. I see the sympathy card you were speaking about and it's perfect - and such a lovely story to go with it too.
Great to see what you've been making recently.
Beryl xx

Davi said...

Martha, As you know I love purple so this is especially wonderful. I love the orchid and the double panels really make it pop out!!