Sunday, December 20, 2009

RECENT CARDS


Just before my trip to Texas I did finish up some cards. I was still doing cards that expressed "Thanksgiving". The first was still in Autumnal colors which I just love using, but almost southwest looking because I used the SU medallion from (I think) Baroque motiffs. Tell me what you think about it. I originally wanted a plaid ribbon for this but there was none to be found in my stash or at the three craft stores I went to. SHEESH! Makes a crafter get a little grumpy.

So I went back to my creating place, and decided to use a plaid paper under the diamond. I was determined to use plaid in some way and the paper was from JoAnn's. I used a cream colored card base. The rust solid CS I stamped with the flourish from SU Baroque Motiffs with Momento black ink. I matted everything with black CS. The vertical beige print is punched with the Martha Stewart Arched Lattice punch and I left the left edge of the black matting a little longer on that side to balance the other heavier side on the right. The center medallion was stamped on a cream CS with Versa Mark and sprinkled with black Fun Flocking which makes it look like velvet. Now I'm gettin' happy! The sentiment is an SU one from one of their all year greeting sets (can't remember which at the moment.) The ribbon is a cream sheer from Wal-Mart and the sentiment is popped up to give some dimension as is the medallion. Then I added some warm jewels in an orangey/gold color to the top right corner and around the diamond for some bling. Since it was after thanksgiving when I got the card done, I am WAY AHEAD for next year. Haha!

This next card was going to be for a challenge and it has been a month since I made it and OOPS! Can't remember which challenge, so will just post it. Now that I think about it, it might have been for one of the color throw downs but for sure can't remember the #. I think I was to use Old Olive, Bermuda Bay, with black and white. My card base is white and I wanted to try my big Martha Stewart punch with the large holes in the scallop (Too bad that Martha doesn't give you a label in the package when you buy them!) I believe it is called Garden Scallop but since I am not sure, you'll just have to look it up. Maybe I will make me a notebook of the names and punch the design across from them so I can remember better! I sure am saying "I don't remember" a lot in this post. LOL!

Anyway, I used an olive green, a turquoise blue, and a print (which has more blue than shows in the picture.) I matted the whole with black and each layer became the mat for the next one. Each row of the punched design was matted in black separately since the design didn't show up as well on each color. Using black behind each row gave a bit of "color and shape alliteration"and I cut around the edges to show them off a little. I tied on a skinny black sheer ribbon, and stamped the "Thanks" in black Momento ink, matted that in black CS and popped it up. The punched edges became the focal point and I felt it did not need any other image.

My last card in this grouping is actually a larger Matchbook gift card holder. (Sorry about the head shadow in the photo.) I wanted to send a folded check and so made this about 4" wide. I folded the red up from the bottom making a 1 1/2" strip. I punched that edge with a MS scalloped embossing punch. I felt the scallop mirrored the edges of the holly and the three little dots looked a little like berries. The top edge was folded down to fit into the bottom. The PSX image of holly and berries was stamped in Momento black onto white CS and colored with SU markers and the whole image, was matted in

green and got a layer of red glitter gel pen over them. Inside I added the PSX holly and berries TO and FROM. To keep the top flap shut, I added a strip of red double sided tape
right at the bottom of the folded bottom flap inside.That way the bottom flap provides the
resistance keeping the top flap inside until you lift it. Hope you can see in the pictures what it looked like. This is such an easy way to make a gift card holder, or even send a photo. I love this Red Pepper Linen CS from Archivers as it was very stable to score and fold and added a little texture. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Davi said...

Dear Martha, All the cards are beautiful! I most especially love that door card. It turned out wonderfu. with your great coloring and all the beautiful embellishments!!! love ya friend