Thursday, November 11, 2010

TRIP TO TEXAS


I recently was able to go back down to Texas to visit with my mother when she needed to go in the hospital for her pacemaker "generator" change. I arrived 2 days before afraid that since I fly stand by, I might not get there exactly when I wanted. But all went well, and we were able to get some pre op tests out of the way on Weds. Thursday we arrived at 11:30am, and the procedure had been scheduled for 1:30 but they got behind and it was 2:15 before they did it. All went well and mom was in recovery about 4pm. They let her rest, fed her some light foods since she had not had anything since 5am and we were home about 6pm. She is a pretty good looking 89 yr old lady, I think.

She had to leave her bandage on for 4 days and then could remove it the 5th day. Boy, they used some good sticky tape because it really pealed some of her skin off. But she is all set for another 20 years.

My nephew John and his wife from Little Rock came by and surprised Mom and me on Tuesday. John was able to bring my sister, Gloria, back up on Thursday for a good 4 hr visit. They had to drive 2 1/2 hrs to get there. We had a nice Barbequed brisket dinner and played Glorias favorite game, Skipbo and my taxi arrived at 4pm to take me to the airport. On their way home through San Antonio, a dump truck had lost its load of gravel on the highway, and they were stuck in traffic an extra two hours. This would be very frustrating to all of us but was particularly difficult for them. My sister is in a wheel chair and it had already been a long day for her.

Here are a few photos...one of mom and one of my sister and of course one of John and his wife Cindy, whom I had not seen for several years. I am very thankful John took the time and effort to bring us all together for a little mini reunion. I had not seen my sister in a year. She is 2 years younger than me and suffered a couple of mini strokes in the last 6 months. She also had been in a car accident and suffered through so much from that. I admire her spirit and her determination through it all. Her belief in Jesus has remained strong. All the women in my family ROCK! May I grow up to be as strong and resilient as they are. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Ann said...

wow Martha your mum is a very elegant lady along with your sister. Funny when someone speaks of someone else and you have a picture in your head of them, then you look at a photograph or meet them and they are nothing like the image you have in your minds eye lol Those photographs of the snow are gorgeous, but I am pleased we do not have that, we had enough of the snow/ice last winter which was so so unusual for us here on the coast. The number of times we have been to WI/MN at around this time of year and said "Where's the snow" it always seemed to be sunny when we visited which was just as well :-) Ann xx