Monday, November 15, 2010

BARE TREES


There is something about the fall and bare trees. They look so strong and majestic without their leaves. I guess they have to be to make it through the tough winter. They raise their limbs up to heaven in awe of the Creator. They are grounded by a root system that sustains them in all kinds of circumstances, that nourishes them all year long and provides what they need to grow and thrive. And they give us shelter (wood for our homes). shade from the sun, and a special beauty all year long with their many shades of green foliage for spring and summer, brilliant hues for autumn, and their bare limbs for winter. Oh how I love the seasons and bare trees as part of it all.

My card is made using a bare tree background stamp I have had for some time. I believe it was from Cornish Heritage Farms. I colored a piece of white card stock using my Stampin Up markers in red, golden yellow, orange, peach, bright yellow, and pale yellow. I blended them with each other as I added the rows of horizontal colors. Then the bare trees were stamped with Momento Tuxedo Black ink. I trimmed this and matted in an orange from Basic Grey, a shiny yellow CS and a black. I used tiny sheer ribbon in red, orange and black to tie around the trees and instead of a fussy bow, I just knotted it and let the 6 ends be my "fluff". It is a bit more subtle that way. I chose a saying from Coleridge "Friendship is like a sheltering tree" and matted it the same. I know, I know...there are no leaves on the trees, but they carry with them the promise of shelter and the sky background is full of bright colors and hope for a new day. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Beryl said...

Oh Martha - this is wonderful. As you know I love 'bare trees' and your colouring of the background is superb. The sentiment stamp is lovely too.
Beryl xx

Davi said...

A beautiful card Martha. I love the different colors in the background with the bold trees against it!

Barb Hardeman said...

Oh, Martha! This is quite stunning! What beautiful colors you added to the background. Of course here in Texas we don't get those sensational colors, but I love to look at them anyway!
Blessings and hugs,
Barb