Monday, February 21, 2011

BACK TO WINTER


Here I was getting all ready for spring, and a major snow storm rolls across the upper Midwest. We received 6" of fresh new white stuff and the wind was blowing making drifts even higher. So last night when I could not sleep, I got up and colored this cute snowman that had been stamped in Momento black ink back in Dec. He is so cute holding the little birds nest with a bluebird in it (The beak was not like a cardinals beak, so had to be a small seed eater bird...details.) I wanted to use my Copics, and I have three shades of pink, so I guess the snow"man" is really a "woman" since I colored the scarf and hat in the pinks. I used a pale lavender and pale blue to indicate shape and shadows on the snow woman. I like the magenta buttons particularly.

For the card...
I am the kind of person who doesn't throw away items that I see possibilities in. I am not a junk saver or trash saver per say, but if an item looks of interest creatively, then I will hang onto it a while. I buy my red double stick tape from Hobby Lobby and it comes on a card board with a plastic cover that is a 1/2" deep circle. The plastic circle has always looked interesting to me, so I have saved several of them. I decided to make a snow globe out of the circular plastic and used the snow woman image behind it with some glitter inside. I probably should have used more glitter or some tinsel glitter I have, but I was afraid to over do and it is "nailed shut" with double stick tape and would be destroyed if I tried to add some more now. Oh well, experience is the best teacher, right!

Boy, this was an engineering project and I am not the greatest in measuring or cutting. There are 4 layers of matting. I stuck the lightest pink down and did not realize I needed or should have cut a circle out of it. I did learn one of my Spellbinders classic circle dies fits very nicely over the plastic circle. But I did use that die to cut a circle out of the next three layers. I used some Martha Stewart punched snowflakes to cover up some of my edges that were not uniform. I used a swirly hot pink CS that reminded me of swirling winds. I am liking the brightness of the hot colors of this card. I added a small hand written (in white) sentiment "Happy Winter" and matted in hot pink. I honestly could not find anything small enough to fit, so had to write it myself.

So for those of us who are still in the throws of winter weather, take heart and keep warm. Spring will come when the good Lord allows it to. God is faithful and He gives us the beauty of renewal and rebirth on the earth and in our lives if we believe that Christ died for us and we will have eternal life. Thank you Father for all your wonderful blessings and gifts. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Davi said...

Martha your little snow lady turned out SOOO cute!! I love the pink with her and the snowglobe is perfect. :) GREAT job!